Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Crippled In Penn Station...The Twilight Zone

Here's Your Healthy Tip of the Day:  If you are on crutches, in a wheelchair or using a cane...you don't want to be in Penn Station at night on the weekend.  I happened to arrive into the station at  10:30pm last Saturday evening.  The crew and passengers disembarked the train and scurried off and up the flight of stairs to wherever it was they were going.  I was left to look for the 'elevator' sign.  There wasn't a Penn Station employee or policeman in sight - not on my track, nor in the entire area.  I walked as far as I could along the desolate platform with my cane.  I wasn't feeling safe; I am a seasoned martial artist and I was feeling more like a deer in the African tundra - food for the lions.  I made the executive decision to  ascend the flight of stairs - exactly what I am NOT supposed to be doing with a swollen knee joint post surgery and another knee on it's way down the drain.  Upon reaching the top of the stairs, I realized I was then on another level of tracks...no signs, no train personnel, no policemen - not a soul in sight to assist me in finding my way to an elevator to get to the concourse level.  After walking for a spell, I sighted an amputee who also had an arm in a cast/sling reading his Koran in a tiny alcove.  I hobbled over to him and said 'Brother, can you please help me?  I need to find an  elevator up to the concourse area.'  The man saw I was in obvious pain.  He got out of his wheelchair and hobbled with his cane on one leg to show me where the elevator was, wished me God's peace, and went back to his chair.  I also wished him God's peace and made my way in the direction he pointed.   He was the only human in sight on that track level.  I got into the elevator, took it up to the concourse level, where I took another elevator to the street and got a taxi home.  All that walking around searching for a way out, walking up the stairs - it all set me back a good 3 days in my progress to heal from knee surgery.  It took an amputee and his kindness to get out of his wheelchair to help me...may God smile on him.  What he was doing there, who knows?  Maybe he was there for me...it was like being in the Twilight Zone.
The management of Penn Station should be ashamed of themselves.  The station is rape, robbery and mugging material for anyone who is disabled in any way.  The place is desolate and a disgrace.  I thought to write to the management, but I didn't think my letter would get anywhere.  Maybe this blog will go viral and it will reach the eyes and ears of those who can make a difference for the safety of the disabled and solo passengers who have to use their transit system late in the evening. That's all I have to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment