Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Altered States...A Wheelchair Experience

I took a sejour to Southern Florida to get off my feet for five days and recuperate from knee surgery; a much needed rest for swelling in the joint that doesn't subside when you're on your feet 12 to 15 hours per day at the office.  While there, my friend had VIP tickets to an auto race that she particularly wanted to attend, but I couldn't possibly go with her in my condition.  Solution?  Rent a wheelchair.  So, off we went - wheelchair bungy corded to the back of her Porsche...nothing stops two determined women with VIP passes!  I've always been very respectful when encountering anyone in a wheelchair but being the person IN the chair is a completely different experience and quite an eye opener.  I was amazed how the masses of people couldn't have been nice and more helpful as my friend wheeled me all over the facility throughout the entire day.  At one point, all the attendees were permitted onto the track prior to the days' races.  Wherever we went, we were like Moses parting the Dead Sea - a 'lane' was parted so we could wheel as we would past all the race cars - it was truly amazing!  I hope I never need to be in a wheelchair again; I prefer to stand and walk on my own two legs, but this was an invaluable life experience and one I will not forget.

Here's Your Healthy Tip of the Day:  If you already aware of the disabled, think twice the next time you see someone who is on crutches or in a wheelchair.  Just by giving them the right of way or asking if they need assistance can mean so much to them and you are certainly paying it forward.  You never know if you might be that person in the chair one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment